Monday, February 12, 2007

IMAGES OF BEARNESS








Monday, January 29, 2007

IMAGES OF BEARNESS

With the Super Bowl approaching, I felt compelled to compile some of my favorite images from over two decades as a Bears' fan. Admittedly, this list may be recent-heavy, as I had ready access to pictures from the current season.



Three absolute Bear legends. George Halas. Dick Butkus. Gale Sayers. I particularly like the Butkus picture because it is a good image of the Bear Packer rivalry portrayed in an old school fashion.



This uniform set was the gift for my sixth birthday. The box said "Ages 7-12," so I was sad that I had to wait an entire year to start wearing it. Believe me, this was one gift that got every ounce of use imaginable.



I couldn't get enough of the William Perry craze back then.



This was my first Bears' football card ever. I was eating breakfast one Saturday morning in 1987 when Dad told me there was a pack of football cards in the top drawer of his dresser. I didn't finish my Total that particular morning. This card was in that pack.



I just like the colors in this picture. No other major sports team uses the dark dark blue and orange like the Bears do. If you see a Bears' uniform you know it immediately.



And to think that Perry scored but Payton did not in Super Bowl XX.



I couldn't find the picture of Ditka lecturing Harbaugh, but this is a good one as well...



That '85 team seemed so much larger than life in my little brain back then. And I guess they still do to some extent.



I was a young Christian in 1986, but I heard that God answered prayers. So when I went to the store and saw Pete Rose on the cover of Wheaties, I went home and beseeched the Lord that Wheaties might put either Walter Payton or William Perry on the box. I don't remember how much longer it was, but I distinctly remember mom pulling this box out of the grocery bag.



Neal Anderson was my favorite player of the post-85 era. I used to listen every Monday night on WBBM as he and Dave Eanet would host a live radio show. I liked that.



Who didn't love Jim Harbaugh? He beat the Lions at the last second to open the 1992 season and made SI.



My brothers gave me a Cade McNown jersey for my birthday one year.



I like this picture because it encapsulates the magical 2001 season. This is Mike Brown at the end of just one of his unbelievable interception returns. The Bears didn't advance past their first playoff game that year, but 2001 was one of my favorite seasons. The Bears found just about every way imaginable to win that year.



Even though the Bears lost their first round playoff game again in 2005, it was another outstanding season. And even though Devin Hester would match this play with a 108-yarder of his own in 2006, this Nathan Vasher run back against the 49ers last year is still very memorable.



When Lovie Smith took the job he said one of his two main goals was to beat the Packers. Well, in 2005 it happened. Twice. Brett Favre was a mess of a man in his two matchups with Chicago last year. This picture provides a glimpse.



I like the cover of the 2006 media guide because it reminds me of when I first saw it during training camp. The Bears were talking about the Super Bowl like crazy at that time. To be able to look back and see how it all unfolded is good stuff.



The Arizona game was unreal, but this was the key play. Urlacher deciding he needed to strip Edgerrin, and then doing it.



My favorite scene from the regular season: Urlacher shaking his finger at Pennington and the fullback he just leveled during the Jets game.



Likely the most lasting image from 2006: People chasing Devin Hester. The two TD returns in the St. Louis game were unbelievable.



Gould beats the Seahawks.



This catch didn't get nearly the pub it deserved. It was among the best you'll ever see. Key play in the win over New Orleans.



Lovie looking so smooth.



Sic 'em.



She's old!



It happened.




The City has never looked better...




...and here's hoping I'll have to come in and edit in some more celebratory pictures on Sunday night.

No comments: