Monday, January 22, 2007

Baylor and Oklahoma this Saturday

Wednesday, October 19, 2005


Baylor and Oklahoma this Saturday


This Saturday is the Baylor v. Oklahoma football matchup. I have been a Baylor fan for three years now, and have never wanted them to win so badly. There are so many reasons for this, and I am so antsy and even a little paranoid. I am desperate for a Baylor win. But it's so much more than football to me...

I know Oklahoma fairly well. It used to be a second home of sorts for me. A year ago...if I had a free weekend, I was in Oklahoma City. I have also made at least two trips per year recently for Baylor sporting events--some in Norman, some in Stillwater. Even my family reunion has been held in Oklahoma the last two years.

Oklahoma holds a quadrillion memories for me. Most good. Some unthinkably miserable. But aside from a quick drive-through on the way back from an August road trip to Missouri, I haven't been in Oklahoma since things fell apart in my hands.

This weekend I return.

This is my third season as spotter for the Baylor Football Radio Network. During that time, I have only missed a handful of BU games (home and road). And I have rooted for them every step of the way. Growing up, the Fighting Illini were my favorite college football team by default, but I have never seen them play live. So rooting for Baylor was as easy as breathing. But I have never desired a win so badly as I do for this Saturday in Oklahoma.

People in the Big12 are supposed to hate OU. And so I do. Baylor has been humiliated twice by the powerhouse since I've been here. I hate "boomer sooner." I hate the sooner schooner. And I hate those freaking cannons.

But this year they suck. And so Baylor better show up. Do I expect a win? Man I don't know. TCU won at Oklahoma, but it's still a road game at Oklahoma. I tell you this much, Baylor better not get blown out. I remember two years ago driving to Norman and listening to Sooner sports talk on the radio. They were talking about how boring "Baylor week" is. This year Baylor is 4-2, so I hope it's not quite as boring.

And the game will be on National TV. Baylor better show up. Lately they've done real well in TV games. I think the nation is a bit curious as to OU's next miss-step. Here's hoping Baylor can cash in. Furthermore, Baylor's two losses have been so excruciatingly frustrating this year. They dominated the Aggies at A&M, and lost in OT. They were right in the game against Nebraska, until the coaching staff inexplicably took out the starting QB and ruined the game. Baylor is due for a big win, and Oklahoma is the next chance.

Long story short, I once wasted an enourmous amount of time, energy, and certainly gas money in Oklahoma, and was left incredibly empty-handed. Considering the fact that just the word "oklahoma" still sends shivers down my spine is one thing. The thought of driving back to the scene of the massacre has me in stitches. I'm not looking forward to this one.

But a win might help me slay some of those demons. If Baylor were to go up there and beat Bob Stoops and the unbelievably arrogant Sooner nation, maybe I could get some closure to the whole deal. I would love to be driving south back to Waco with a GOOD feeling about my trip to Oklahoma for once. I've been dreading this weekend for a long time, but opportunity is at hand.

A loss? A loss...??? I don't even want to think about it. The state of Oklahoma has kicked my butt too many times, and a defeat in the return to my old stomping grounds might be more than I could handle.

So sic 'em Bears. And I have never meant that so much in my life.

No comments: