Monday, January 22, 2007

TACO BELL BLOG - STORE 2485

Tuesday, May 16, 2006


TACO BELL BLOG - STORE 2485


I am normally not one to laud the accomplishments of a local fast food establishment, but this one I can not ignore no longer. Yes, I am devoting my latest blog entry to the local Waco Taco Bell.

The "fast food jungle" (as Derek calls it) right across I-35 from the Baylor campus is not necessarily a collection of the who's who of restaurant franchisees. In fact, the Taco Cabana is easily the worst in the chain. I've never had a good experience at the Whataburger there (easily the slowest drive through I've ever come across). The Wendy's might be alright, but nothing special. The Long John Silvers makes you pull ahead to park and wait for your food even if you're the only customer there. The McDonalds is...McDonalds. And the Sonic takes the cake. It is hardly ever worth your time to go to that Sonic. I came from living by one of the quickest Sonic branches (in Nashville). But this one in the fast food jungle in Waco is unbearably slow. And not necessarily delicious either.

But even if the above weren't all stinkers, the Taco Bell would still stand head and shoulders above them all. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that I actually like most items on the Taco Bell menu. But I have lived here almost three years now, and I am still in awe of the well-oiled machine that is the Taco Bell on 500 Cleveland in Waco, Texas.

I had been there before, but I discovered the magic of the Taco Bell drive- through in the summer of 2004. Now I realize this was the greatest period in my existence so far and things were very exciting in other aspects of my life, so I naturally associate good memories with all that went with it. This was a period where many days I would order a Seven Layer Burrito and a water at 11:45 in the morning and that would be all I had that day (also called "fasting"). Things were going well and this diet seemed to work wonders for me.

But I soon discovered that this was by far the greatest drive-through experience in my life. Two days in a row...three days in a row. Every single time. Not only were they lightning-quick. But every single time, they all went out of their way to say at least one friendly thing (beyond the norm). This included the people at both windows. And the food was always top notch (considering it is still just a Taco Bell).

At first I thought maybe I was catching them in a good stretch. But it lasted the entire summer. And then once the school year started again, they were much more busy. But I still found the same unbelievable service. I am not one to usually allow myself much time on my way to work. There were many times when I would leave the apartment much later than I had hoped to...starving. And I would buzz by the Taco Bell to see if the line was long. Over and over I would be convinced I was too late--that I couldn't make it in time. But the quickness of the drive-through would bail me out. Time after time. A few times the line was all the way around the building. Still...they got me through. Once or twice I thought it was hopeless. I have NEVER been late to work on a day I went to Taco Bell.

It is guaranteed every time. By the time I finish paying at window one, the car at window two is already gone. Every time. And I never have to put my car in park at window two. In fact, I hardly ever have time to put my change in the ash tray by the time they hand me my food. Sometimes it's borderline annoying. Just give me a second.

They almost always pass the "song test." No matter how many cars are in line when I pull in, they still get me through before the current song on the radio is over (provided it's not at the end when I get there). Seriously...I can't tell you how many times I am back on the road again--listening to the same song I was hearing when I was pulling in.

And it has remained consistent. No matter what time of day or night. No matter what time of year. Like I said, I once associated the process with a very positive time in my life. But it has transcended eras for me and has even seen me through the horrid times. (Strange consolation, I realize.)

Ok so I don't eat there that much anymore (I actually had Bear Bucks to use up that first summer). But it still never fails. They're still friendly. They're still almost maddening quick. They have only screwed my order up twice in two plus years...

I started writing this a long time ago. And every time as I pull out of the drive-through I vow to go ahead and finish it. I finally decided it was time. I haven't been in the dining room too much, but whoever is in charge of their drive-through process should publish curriculum.

It is that good. Maybe you can try it next time you're in Waco. (Watch it be slow as molasses for you...)

No comments: